vodafone HUAWEI EchoLife HG556a

I have one of these with a 3g dongle (Also vodafone and huawei).

After finding it a bit unreliable, I had a poke around and found that if I telnet it , I could change the DNS settings, which seems to make it better. At the telnet prompt type

dns config static 8.8.8.8 208.67.222.222
save

which sets the box to use google and freedns. The system used dnsmasq and gives out the lan ip as the dns server to it's clients, which works fine.

dyndns was more interesting, because at the telnet prompt you have a dyndns option, but I couldnt get it to work, so a poker around the various web pages on the box , I found this

http://192.168.1.1/en_US/ddnsadd.html

and set it up , though had to choose LAN. once done, I backedup the config under management-settings-backup , opened the backup file and changed the interface from br0 to ppp_255_65535_1 which is the wan interface (find it with ifconfig, though I think this is universal). Then restore the config and it worked fine.

Comments

Aidan Fraser said…
My hg556a asks me for a username and password when I try to log in with telnet, but none of the username/passwords I know work. What did you use?

Popular posts from this blog

Baileys liquor Chocolate Chip and Cream desert

nginx decode base64 url for use with imgproxy

using t1n1wall, opnsense or pfsense on Google Compute Engine GCE